Our research team is dedicated to achieving this goal through research efforts that that span basic science, animal studies, and clinical trials. Our team is internationally recognized for its exceptional contributions to improving our understanding of the natural history of type 1 diabetes, developing strategies to prevent and reverse the disease, the use of artificial pancreas technologies, and the use of novel ways to educate patients and providers in diabetes management. In addition, our group is internationally known for expertise and development of novel treatments for Prader-Willi Syndrome.
UF Diabetes Institute Contact Registry
Subscribe to receive information about ongoing or future research studies. In addition, you will receive information about seminars on diabetes, as well as period electronic newsletters.
The UF Diabetes Institute offers many studies encompassing a wide range of disciplines and specialties related to the physiology, pathogenesis and treatment of diabetes, as well as its complications, and translation of new knowledge to the clinic and the community.
At Risk T1D Studies
These studies are aimed at finding ways to prevent type 1 diabetes. Reserachers are looking for at-risk T1D individuals. Individuals can be screened for T1D risk through TrialNet at UF.
New Onset T1D Studies
UF researchers are working to delay and ultimately stop the onset of diabetes by evaluating new approaches to prevent or ameliorate the disease in its earliest stage to optimize the potential for successful treatment.
Type 1 Diabetes Studies
Research studies range from preserving insulin producing cells, to targeted treatment therapies that aim to alter or slow-down the progression of the disease.
- Diabetes Autoimmunity Withdrawn In New Onset and In Established Patients (SUNRISE)
- Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Trial Evaluating Efficacy and Safety of Teplizumab (PROTECT)
- Lactobacillus Johnsonii Supplementation in Adults With T1D
- Lactobacillus Johnsonii in Children and Adolescents With T1D
- Diabetes Journey: An Adolescent Adherence Barriers Intervention
- Continuous Monitoring and Control of Hypoglycemia (COACH)
- The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in Youth (TEDDY)
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet
- Network for Pancreatic Organ Donors with Diabetes (nPOD) program
- Project Endo Echo grant for Type 1 diabetes