COVID-19 Update

Dear Patients and Families,

On behalf of the University of Florida Pediatric Endocrine team I would like to update you on the current COVID-19 situation.

First and foremost, please know that our team is available for you and your child during this public health emergency.

Second, I want to direct you to reputable sources of information for updates on COVID-19. All have provided excellent and timely information.  

Third, things are changing quickly, so I recommend that you check back with your local, state, and federal agencies for any new policies or procedures. UFHealth, your local Health Department office, and the CDC are all places to contact should you have questions.

Here are some frequently asked questions:

What should I do if I think my child has COVID-19?

The main symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, muscle aches, and cough. If you have symptoms, contact your primary care doctors and they will direct those in need for testing.  Only those who meet certain criteria will be tested. Please note that the Pediatric Endocrine team is not able to offer testing at this time.

Should my child still come for scheduled endocrinology appointments?

Our clinics remain open and fully staffed at this time. However, should you prefer to be seen via telemedicine (video conference), our team is making every to provide safe and efficient care to you in the comfort of your own home. If you would prefer to have your appointment via telemedicine, please contact our office at 352.265.DIAB (4322) and ask about having your visit converted to a telemedicine visit. If your child is not feeling well, they should be seen by a primary care provider and their endocrinology appointment should be rescheduled to a later date.

My child has diabetes. Are they “immunocompromised” and at greater risk of getting COVID-19?

No. Children and young adults with diabetes are NOT immunocompromised and are NOT at greater risk for developing COVID-19. However, if someone with diabetes develops COVID-19, they will need to follow typical sick day guidelines including frequent blood glucose and ketone monitoring and aggressive hydration. If your child has ketones, please call our office for advice. We recommend that all patients, regardless of their diagnoses, continue to practice common sense measures to avoid the risk of getting infected with or spreading the virus.

• Wash your hands frequently
  • Avoid large crowds or public gatherings
  • Stay home if you are sick

Should I send my child to school?

At this time we recommend following the direction of your child’s local school system. However if your child does have a diagnosis associated with immune suppression it would not be unreasonable to keep them home until we have more information on the likelihood of exposure in your community.

Should I stock up on my medications?

Yes, we recommend that everyone have a 2-3 week supply of medications on hand in case they are forced to be quarantined for up to 14 days. Our team is happy to provide refills though some insurances may not want to cover early fills. The best way to request refill prescriptions is via MyChart. If you do not have a MyChart account set up, PLEASE set one up at your child’s next in person visit.  Unfortunately, we cannot provide complete MyChart access over the phone for pediatric patients. Please be aware that phone wait times may be longer due to an increased volume in phone calls. You can reach us at 352.265.DIAB (3422).

From our family to yours, we wish you all the best during this challenging time and hope that aggressive “social distancing” and hand washing will reduce the spread of the virus and lessen its impact on you, your family, and our community. 

All the best,

Dr. Mike